|An earlier incident 100 years ago RMS Titanic|
|25 per cent of passengers and crew carried on cruise ships under IMO SOLAS 2010 regulations |
will have to find a place in one of these inflatable lift rafts ...
Julian Bray reports:
As a Cruise Industry Commentator Julian Bray has now completed a round of 32 radio interviews, including 19 BBC local radio stations in the UK, BBC Five Live (2), BBC Radio Four PM, BBCTV News Channel, CBC in Canada, BBC Boston USA and BBC World Service and USA Public Radio Network. Julian Bray exclusively Pointing out that IMO SOLAS (Saving of Lives at Sea) 2010 regulations only require that 75% of total passengers and staff carried on board, are required to have seats in life boats and that the remaining 25% are to be offered inflatable life raft places. The regulation was designed as a minimum requirement but ship builders and owners have taken this to mean a maximum requirement. Julian Bray also earlier on in this investigation drew attention to the importance of recovering the black box recorder, transcripts of which have now been released by the coastguard.
Monday 11 am RESCUE OPERATIONS SUSPENDED (Reuters / Italian Fire Service) AND RESCUE WORKERS TAKEN OFF BY HELICOPTER AS REPORTS SAY THE WRECK IS NOW SLIPPING AWAY.
News Conference held in Genoa by Costa Cruises, claims the disaster is the result of 'human error', evacuation procedures not followed says Owners. "Unapproved, unauthorised, deviation from ships programmed course" says Costa Cruises CEO (we say an attempt to shift blame for any corporate culture to the master of the vessel). P&O and Princess Cruises are other Carnival Brands.
Sunday 6:45 pm Voices heard from inside the #Costa Concordia wreck, possibility of more survivors being evacuated from staterooms, say rescue teams.
Sunday 5:15pm British couple report that seven short and one long blast on the ships whistle was given,which is the international emergency signal "Go to your Emergency Stations"
Sunday 5pm Salvage diver says scars on rock ledge may suggest #Costa Concordia wreck 'is sliding' and may fall off into 80 metres of deep water.
Sunday 3pm Two bodies [elderly males] recovered from #Costa Concordia submerged section says Italian Coastguard
Sunday 1pm Italian Captain has on video just claimed that cruise ship #Costa Concordia ship was "traversing sideways 300 metres from shore with this rock projection" and no rocks shown on his 'tourist' navigation systems.
Question: This was at night....something might have been lost in translation but the fact remains this ship was several nautical miles off its normal plotted course. Why? Possible UNCONFIRMED answer from local "Officers have a tradition of saluting former officer(s) who lives on the island and may have taken ship in too close."
Breaking news from Italian sources Cruise ship wreck is apparently perched on an uncharted rock shelf at 20 metres; but 80 metres of deep water below.... rock shelf not shown on his charts says Captain.
If weather breaks ie gets worse could dislodge ship from shelf and send it without warning plunging down to 80 metres depth. Check against source.
Contributor: Media, Aviation, Politics & Travel Expert, Broadcaster Julian Bray UK Landline: 01733 345581 Mobile: 07944 217476 ISDN2 downline +44(0)1733 555 319 (B'cast ISDN Remote Studio) G722/APT-X Dual Codecs Glensound C5